The world of Open Source continues to rapidly evolve and change. This is also very much the case for the IBM i. Over the past few years there have been an increased number of Open Source Technologies added to the IBM i.
Open Source Technologies on IBM i
Node.js SAMBA on IBM i Python
New Open Source Product for IBM i
Recently, the IBM i development team has taken a more active role in compiling open source products exclusively to run in the PASE environment for IBM i. In order deliver these new technologies in a safe manner IBM have created a new license program option – 5733OPS – Open Source for IBM i. For details on how to get this new product see – How to obtain the new Open Source for IBM i Product – 5733OPS page.
Source: IBM i Technology Updates
Open Source Technologies 5733OPS Installation
Step 1: Install XMLSERVICE and any requisite products
- Install XMLSERVICE to the XMLSERVICE library on IBM i. See the XMLSERVICE install documentation for more details.
- PASE (SC1 option 33) is required for all 5733-OPS options.
- Other product requirements will be called out in the documentation for the individual product options. For instance, Python requires SC1 for many functions.
Step 2: Obtain the new Open Source for IBM i Product – 5733OPS
The new License Program Option 5733OPS – Open Source for IBM i is being included as part if the IBM i Bonus Package. This means that if you are current on your IBM i software maintenance you are entitled to this new offering. Below are the designated ways that you can obtain this new support.
- Starting at 5733OPS GA, it will begin shipping with IBM i 7.1 and 7.2 Operating System Keyed Media Set. All orders with ship date of GA and later would receive this new media
- If entitled to the IBM i V7 OS’s at GA, 5733OPS will become part of the 7.1 and 7.2 Operating System ESD download package under 5770-SS1 base FC’s 5817, 5818, 5819, 5827, 5828, and 5829 the package is titled F_MULTI_NLV_110_IBM_i_Open_Source_Solutions on ESS
- At GA 5733OPS will become part of the 7.1 and 7.2 Operating System ESD download package under the IBM i Evaluation, Try & Buy and NLV download section, under 5770-SS1 base FC’s 5817, 5818, 5819, 5827, 5828, and 5829 the package is titled F_MULTI_NLV_110_IBM_i_Open_Source_Solutions on ESS
Step 3: Install necessary PTF’s
Once you have installed the product and options of interest, install the latest SC1 PTF’s and the individual PTF’s needed for the 5733OPS option of interest (for instance, SI55499 for Node.js, SI57008, SI57253, SI57254, SI57255, and SI57256 for Python), or their latest superceding PTF.
Note that OPS PTF’s may call out requisites that are not applicable for your runtime environment. For instance, both 7.1 and 7.2 versions of SC1 PTF’s are listed as requisites, but you may disregard warnings about PTF’s for a different release.
- SF99368 – level 31 for IBM i 7.1
- SF99713 – level 5 for IBM i 7.2